@nhsportspage Twitter Feed

POY....MVP....

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

POY

Post  sjsprague on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 am

It is sad that Kaleb Marquis has been saddled with bad teams for his entire high school career. He lives for basketball 12 months a year. Without him Concord would be averaging 30 pts per game.

I would certainly give this kid credit for POY. He plays the entire game unless he is in foul trouble. He never quits - even when the team is down by 40 pts. Unfortunately, he would never get votes for POY because of the team he plays for. The POY will obviously be someone on an outstanding team.

sjsprague
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

SJS

Post  rwvogeley on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:14 am

If Caleb is a player he will be noticed and compared to oother players. He might not be POY, but he could be the most valuable player to his team. Like you mentioned without nhim the could be really worse off.

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Re: POY....MVP....

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:I hear you New Hampshire Kickz.

this senior boys class might be one of the weakest classes for college potential in the history of New Hampshire high school basketioball.
That might be so, but that is a harsh statement to make without mentioning the following players: Kaleb Joseph (Nashua), Dimitri Floras (Merrimack), Mike Auger (Hopkinton), Mike LeBlanc (Dover) and Matt Barr (Exeter). All 5 of them went prep, but would be in the NHIAA Class of 2013 if they had stayed at their local high school. Joseph has a slew of high-major D-I offers, including Providence, Pitt, Marlyland, etc. Floras, Auger and LeBlanc have all been offered by UNH, while Floras has also been offered by Canisius. And Barr has committed to Bentley. That's 5 schlarship players right there.

This Class of 2013 doesn't look as bad now, does it? Add in guys like Pelletier, Gabriel, Preston, Len and Paradis and you actually have a really talented class.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  littlegreen on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Jeremy with all due respect you have no idea what kind of scholarships are being offered these players so don't make it sound like they are on full rides. They may be getting a couple grand in some cases.

littlegreen
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Jeremy, it might be a harsh statement, but let me remind you it is a statement you agreed with me in a phone conversation we had about 3 weeks ago ..... Just to jog your memory. bounce

Prep is prep and HS is HS. I make a clear distinction between the 2 when talking about a senior class.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

POY

Post  rwvogeley on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:37 pm

The highest player to go last year was Gianelli at Franklin Pierce. Noone even mentioned his name last year.D3 is a great college experience in that you can get an edu;cation and still enjoy playing hoops. Again, beforeTyler Roche went to BC, when was the last time a NH high school kid went D1 and stayed at that school for the full four years????
So even in the good years the talent is limited. If you look at Mass, they are aslo experiencing the same phenomena, the cream of the talent pool is going prep. The advantage to the coach is they are getting a player who has already lived away from home, and he is not burning a yer of eligibility. The kid is reclassified in prep school so he has red shirted for a year.

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Probably Matt Bonner at Florida.

BoscoD39
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Bosco

Post  rwvogeley on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Correct. And before that what Tunji from Trinity who had a real nice career at BU. How many years ago was that??????
So when I read in the various social media, that this kid has a good handle, and plays above the rim,,,etc,are his skills really being honestly evaluated????
Look at the rosters of the schools in Boton and you can ee that they realize the is very little talent here to draw from....

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  dj5hoop on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Kaleb is good player and he works hard no matter what. He has no doubt been hurt by playing for a bad program. It would be nice to see him play on a team with some other good players and good coaching. Having said that, I believe it really doesn't matter how many points a player scores if that team continues to lose. Team sports are ultimately about winning and the best players bring many different elements to the table. They make others around them better by not only doing the big things but also all the little things. No matter what the team sport is, the best and most important players are always the most well rounded. They do a little of everything depending on what is needed for each particular contest. A few of the scoring leaders are on bad teams which means they are getting a lot more shots then some of the players on winning teams. The truth is, if your team is not good, you probably have no shot at being player of the year. Right now I would say Troy Pelletier, Eric Gendron and Mabor Gabriel have to be the favorites for POY. They all do everything for their teams on a consistant basis and their teams happen to be near the top. Lunn, Paradis, Preston and Marquis are all having good seasons but unless they get their teams over the top they probably shouldn't win POY.

dj5hoop
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:41 pm

To me the Player of the year is the strongest player across all 5 tools to play (shooting, ball handling, passing, rebounding, and defending). Team record does matter as somebody worhty of POY makes the team better and usually successful. Post players like Gabriel usually are not asked to handle the ball nor pass much but they do need to rebound and defend. For a post player to get POY they have to be truly dominant. Pelliter and Gendron are asked to do it all. My vote would go to Pelliter but I would say that Gendron is more " valuable" to his team as he scores 33% of his teams points vs Pelliters 25% and Gabriels 22%. He also has the ball in his hands a vast majority of the time for Merrimack. Take Gendron away from Merrimack and they are in the bottom third of the league. can't say that about Pelliter or Gabriel

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum